Following the Werkbund exhibition, the buildings at the Weissenhof Estate were rented out by the city of Stuttgart. In 1928 Anton Kolig, an art professor, moved into the two semidetached houses by Le Corbusier. Other tenants followed, including many alterations and changes. The German Reich bought the estate in 1939 with the intention of tearing it down, but this was prevented by the beginning of World War II. The apartments continued to be rented out, even when the federal government of Germany took over the property at the end of the war. Following a long period of neglect, the estate was extensively restored in the 1980s, during which the right half of the Le Corbusier two semidetached houses were restored inside to a state that was “similar to the original.”
It was not until 2002 that the city of Stuttgart was given the opportunity to buy Le Corbusier’s two semidetached houses and make it into a museum. Together with the Wüstenrot Stiftung and their historic conservation board, the building was painstakingly restored following extensive studies. The city of Stuttgart then developed a museum concept and provided furniture and display objects. Weissenhof Museum opened its doors to the public on October 26, 2006.